Hi,

Among free text editors with syntax coloration, there are many solutions that
make developpers happy:
 - jedit (java based, with various plugins, powerfull)
   -- download the latest 4.3pre-xx version, more stable than the officila
stable version --
 - notepad2 (Win32), no install, very light.
 - notepad++ (win32)
 - MadEdit (win32) (Swiss knife, can edit in hex mode, change encoding easily,
etc.)
 - pspad (win32)
 - etc.

I use dayly jedit and notepad2, plus sometimes MadEdit for encoding checks.

HTH,
Pascal