On 02.12.2008 11:04:17 Georg Datterl wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I just tried  to use the extension (with the latest data fom repository) with
>
> <fo:external-graphic src="GF_logo_sw.pdf#page=1"/>
>
> and get a
>
> ERROR apps.FOUserAgent [main]: Image not available. URI:
> GF_logo_sw.pdf#page=1. Reason:
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.ImageException: No ImagePreloader found
> for GF_logo_sw.pdf#page=1 (Siehe Position 1:2012)

"No ImagePreloader found" means that either the plug-in was not found in
the classpath or that the PDF file could not be loaded by PDFBox.

> Same result without #page=1.
>
> The logo pdf starts with
>
> %PDF-1.5
> %âãÏÓ
> 1 0 obj
> <</Metadata 38 0 R/Pages 2 0 R/OCProperties<</D<</RBGroups[]/ON[22 0 R]/Order
> 21 0 R>>/OCGs[22 0 R]>>/Type/Catalog>>
> endobj
> 38 0 obj
>
> 1) Does that mean it's a PDF 1.5 file and does that explain the error
> message?

Yes, that's PDF 1.5 and not it doesn't explain the error message.

> a1) Do you know a way to convert the pdf to 1.4?

I never had to do that but I can imagine there are a number of tools out
there that can do that. For example, GhostScript should be able to do it.

> 2) Where's the root for external-graphic? fop.xconf-><base>?

Yes. But "No ImagePreloader found" also means that the file was found.
There was just no way available to handle the image.

> 3) What's the difference between fo:external-graphic and
> fox:external-document?

See the documentation for fox:external-document:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/extensions.html#external-document

Basically, fo:external-graphic creates an inline, single-page image
inside a page. fox:external-document creates a page-sequence and creates
a new page for each page in the source document.