On 12 Mar 2009, at 09:44, Georg Datterl wrote:

But your solution only makes the first column blocks 5cm longer. If there's more space in the first column, it's not used. And if the second column block + 5cm is longer than page height, the empty block flows to the second page and the text block for the second page is moved to the third page. I'm afraid, that's not dynamical enough for me.

I thought as much...

In my real live case, I have a table in the right column which can spread over multiple pages. In the left column I have some images which should pe printed on each page, no matter how many pages the table spans. At the moment I generate the table and one set of images, have a look at the area tree and find out, how many pages the table spans. Then I go back to the fo-file and insert image blocks as needed. I guess, I could ask the area tree for the size of the image block and the sizes of the table blocks and then calculate a space-after or padding-after for the image blocks instead of the page breaks. Does that sound possible and which area tree attribute should I look at to get the realtime height of the blocks?

Definitely sounds possible. Assuming nothing exotic with writing-mode or reference-orientation, this would be the "bpd" or "bpda". IIC, the difference between the two is that one takes into account the borders and padding, while the other only refers to the content. I'd have to check an example to say for sure which is which.

Since the block in the first cell will be broken, you will obviously need to combine the block-progression-dimension of all three blocks, but that should not pose a problem, I think...

HTH!

Andreas