Hi,

Like you noticed the resolution only applies to images. I am slightly
puzzled by the way you compare both outputs: are you putting the sheet
of paper next to the screen and looking for differences?

Then note that the HTML result is likely to be highly different from one
environment to the other (think of a desktop machine compared to
a smartphone), and it is dependent on many settings: the resolution of
the screen, the default font and font sizes chosen by the user, the
default stylesheet they may want to apply, etc.

Also, PDF is a vectorial format, so the notion of resolution doesn’t
apply to it (except the raster images that it may contain).

So yes, in the end what you want to do is to play with font sizes,
rather on the FO output. For the HTML output better leave them to their
default values, and let the users choose the default sizes that suit
them.

kkapelon freemail gr wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I have an XML file which is either converted to PDF (via FOP) or to XHTML
> (via another XSL stylesheet)
>
> I have noticed however that things look different in (printed) PDF and
> (on-screen) HTML formats.
> The sizes are different for the text elements.
>
> After searching for a cause it came to my attention that PDF files from FOP
> are rendered at 72DPI (correct me if I am wrong) while the browser/screen/OS
> works at 96DPI.
>
> I found the configuration for dpi at
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.95/configuration.html, but this
> applies only to images and not text.
>
> So is there a workaround to make things appear on print the same as they are
> on screen?
>
> I am thinking of manully changing the sizes in one stylesheet (either for FO
> or HTML) to bring it
> to the same "size" with the other. But I wonder if there is a more elegant
> solution.
>
> Thank you

Hope this clarifies the thing a bit.
Vincent