Are you just saying your Java App has to be able to access the font to
create the PDF based on data from the database or are you saying you have to
store the ttf file inside the database?

The former, just use <auto-detect/> in the fopconfig.  With 1.0 it searches
the classpath (which includes your application Jar) to find fonts, and you
can also have external jar files containing the Fonts as well.

Auto-Detect and auto-embed feature
When the "auto-detect" flag is set in the configuration, FOP will
automatically search for fonts in the default paths for your operating
system.
FOP will also auto-detect fonts which are available in the classpath, if
they are described as "application/x-font" in the MANIFEST.MF file. For
example, if your .jar file contains font/myfont.ttf:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
          Name: font/myfont.ttf

This feature allows you to create JAR files containing fonts. The JAR files
can be added to fop by providing them in the classpath, e.g. copying them
into the lib/ directory.

Kindest regards

Theresa Forster
Senior Software Developer