From: Christopher R. Maden [mailto:cr...@maden.org]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:44 AM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: Re: FOP Extension to handle Wiki Syntax

On 06/14/2011 07:25 AM, kalgon wrote:
> Yes I could transform the XML prior to rendering it to PDF but that
> wouldn't be as nice and clean as an extension which would take care of

> everything. Moreover, an extension can be reused whereas
> pre-transforming the XML would require a specific XSLT for each XML
> schema... definitely not the way I want to go.

Except that's how XSL works, and what FOP implements.  FOP takes
exactly[*] 1 kind of input: the FO markup in XML defined by the XSL
Recommendations.

Nearly all FOP users, as well as users of other XSL formatters,
transform their source either with XSLT or some other tool into FO for
presentation to the formatter.

If FOP supports MediaWiki syntax natively, why not MoinMoin or some
other wiki?  Why not HTML, DocBook, DITA, CALS, ...?

~Chris

[*] approximately
--
Chris Maden, text nerd  <URL: http://crism.maden.org/ > "Before I built
a wall I'd ask to know / What I was walling in or  out, / And to whom I