Thanks for your help!

I have attached two files:
- premod.if.xml: This is the untouched IF file.
- postmod.if.xml: This is premod.if.xml, but with many of the <page>
elements and some <page-sequence> elements removed.  You will notice extra
white space where elements were deleted.

The specific error I get when trying to generate the PDF is:
at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.updateTargetLocation(PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.java:188)
at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.getAction(PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.java:160)
at
org.apache.fop.render.pdf.PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.renderLink(PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.java:108)
at
org.apache.fop.render.intermediate.extensions.DocumentNavigationHandler.endElement(DocumentNavigationHandler.java:186)
[rest of stack omitted]

I believe the NullPointerException occurs on this line in
PDFDocumentNavigationHandler.java:
                action.getTargetLocation().x / 1000.0,

Does "target location" imply a link target location?  If so, you were
correct in predicting this as an issue.  I'm not sure this version of the
publication must support linking, but I will verify.  The real purpose is to
provide a hard copy of the PDF.

Thanks again.