Interesting upshot: when a single-column textless page precedes the last page (all text, 2 column) it appears thao FOP is um, er, forgetting to go to two column mode. The last text page is filled with sentences which run from border to border, then eventually the two column directive kicks in and the second column is printed over the first (page-wide) column. I can think of a couple of work-arounds (raise the MAX_RECOVERY_ATTEMPTS to 20 and revert to two column) or make a new layout definition for 'special textless pages near the end of a chapter'. Regrettable nuisance either way.

Cheers,

rjs