I assume you refer to the sidebar.fo sample.

As you said, the lines are not visible in Adobe. They are visible in Mac's own Preview though. I looked at the *.fo and although I don't understand what you are trying to achieve I do see that the output in Preview is not what I would expect. Can you provide a smaller example? Meanwhile, if you have a problem in hands with unexpected lines due to the use of row or column spans try to get around it by nesting tables.