On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:33 PM, pfuller <pful...@callista.com.au> wrote:

> We have upgraded to FOP 1.1 and when trying to process an image we are
> getting the following error:
>
> SEVERE: Image not available. URI:
> http://x.com:8281/contentServlet?id=70375422672598045316. Reason
> : org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.ImageException: The file format is
> not
> supported. No ImagePreloader found for
> http://x.com:8281/contentServlet?id=70375422672598045316 (No context info
> available)
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.ImageException: The file format is not
> supported. No ImagePreloader found for
> http://x.com:8281/contentServlet?id=70375422672598045316
> at
>
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.ImageManager.preloadImage(ImageManager.java:180)
> at
>
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.cache.ImageCache.needImageInfo(ImageCache.java:128)
> at
>
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.ImageManager.getImageInfo(ImageManager.java:122)
> at org.apache.fop.fo.flow.ExternalGraphic.bind(ExternalGraphic.java:81)
>

> We have installed Apache FOP into an Oracle database schema and it is
> called
> via a plsql package. The fop jar and all its dependent jar libraries are in
> the same database schema(effectively same classpath). This is were the
> error
> occurs. If we run it locally in Jdeveloper, using the same jars delivered
> in
> FOP1.1 then it works correctly.
>
> The images served by the servlet are JPG and BMP images. We have confirmed
> that the images can be accessed successfully on the box running the
> process.
>
> We tried the following solution suggested by the below post of changing the
> META-INF/services files:
>

> http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/FOP-1-0-images-fail-to-render-td7348.html
>
> This solution actually worked, however we are tentative to go with this
> solution since we are failing to understand why the process works locally,
> but not deployed via the database. We also assume that the FOP1.1 is
> working
> as released, and what we have done seems to be hacking dependencies.
>
> Is anyone able to explain why the
> META-INF/Services/org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.spi.ImagePreloader
> file contains only the following:
>
> org.apache.fop.image.loader.batik.PreloaderWMF
> org.apache.fop.image.loader.batik.PreloaderSVG
>
> when the solution that is working for us contains:
>
> g.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderTIFF
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderGIF
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderJPEG
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderBMP
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderEMF
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.PreloaderEPS
> org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.impl.imageio.PreloaderImageIO

There are two distinct
META-INF/Services/org.apache.xmlgraphics.image.loader.spi.ImagePreloader
files, one in xmlgraphics-commons...jar and one in fop...jar. Normally the
SPI layer (i.e., Avalon Framework) loads these separately and merges the
results in order to find all available preloaders. However, this could be
failing for some reason, and loading only one but not both. HTH.