Yes, at the moment, this only works when interfacing through Java. The
ability to configure which events cause what for the command-line
interface has simply not been implemented, yet. I very rarely run FOP
from the shell. For me personally, FOP is primarily a software library
to integrate in other Java applications. But it happens to have a
command-line interface and a rather neglected Ant task plug-in.

I guess being able to fine-tune event behaviour through the user
configuration could be useful. But again, it's just not implemented, yet.
Given that you had to wait two weeks for an answer to your question
indicates that the event feature is known to and used by few. It doesn't
seem to be a popular requirement. In that way, it wasn't a design choice
but a missing demand. But the current design in no way stays in the way
of implementing what you expected.

Jeremias Maerki