Hi,

I was from KEC too (passed out in 2013) but I didn't wait for anyone to be
in FOSS community.

Create something for the community, start contributing today and inspire
other peoples. There is a FOSS community in every IT colleges today and all
they do is oraganize events and don't even contribute a single line of code
for the community.

Choose a project from http://foss-np.github.io and start contributing
today. By the way, I contributed in creating foss nepal web app and github
page while I was in college, without creating a FOSS community.

When you do something good, people will follow you. You don't have to make
them follow.

Thanks,
On 13 Nov 2014 08:37, "Shreya Dahal" <shreyada...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am from Kathmandu Engineering College. I have been in this mailing
> list for the last 3 years or so, and have always been interested in
> and been excited about the various events being conducted by various
> college FOSS communities. When I admitted to KEC I came with a hope
> that there too is a thriving FOSS community. Sadly, I was wrong. There
> was no visible FOSS activity in the college.
>
> So, last semester I decided to take things into my own hand. I started
> out by opening a Facebook group and inviting people over (through
> friends and the college confession page, since this was during a
> vacation). I assumed that there already are plenty people motivated
> towards FOSS, and the only thing missing was a common platform.
>
> We have since conducted two events (actually it was the same event "An
> Intro to Linux," the first one was cut short by lack of power so we
> had to do it again), but I was faced by a striking lack of
> participation, in the organizing side. I hoped that there will be
> plenty of people wanting to help out or at least start a conversation
> on the group, there were none. At the end it was just me and a couple
> of my friends.
>
> Some suggest that it is because we do not have an organizational
> structure and membership like a club and that we should register as a
> club. I never wanted it to be a club, I was hoping it would just be a
> common place for like-minded people to talk and maybe meet up and do
> some stuff.
>
> We need some advice. What should we be doing? What are we doing wrong?
>
> I thought maybe it is a lack of general knowledge of and motivation
> towards FOSS, so am planing to conduct an Introduction to FOSS seminar
> next week, aiming at first and second years'. I would also appreciate
> advice on what things to cover in that.
>
> Also, it is our turn to conduct the "FOSS ka kura" this month and we
> do intend to conduct it (probably during the last week of November).
>
> --
> Thanks
> Shreya Dahal
>
> --
> --
>
> ---
> "FOSS Nepal" group.
> email to foss-nepal+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "FOSS
Nepal" group.
to foss-nepal+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.