On 4/14/2017 9:15 PM, Warren Young wrote:
27. Add a section or new document on transitioning from .fooignore files.

Started drafting this as a new section called Converting .gitignore to ignore-glob. Reading https://git-scm.com/docs/gitignore among other sources since my only contact with Git has been reluctant.

Some features in of gitignore that seem useful and likely not impossible to add:

* Comments. Lines beginning with # are comments. Git uses \# for an entry that actually begins with a hash. Personally I want comments, and plan to add them to fossil's glob lists, probably using "#file" or '#file' to quote rather than adding a new quote character to fossil. * Negation. A pattern can begin with ! to negate the pattern. Again, \! for a pattern that begins with a bang. This seems amusing, but I'm not really sure of the use case that makes it compelling. It would be easy enough to add, though.

Features that I'm not excited by but which could likely be handled:

* Accumulating patterns from lots of ignore files: current dir, parents up tree, user's home directory places, etc. Too many places are used. * Scattering .gitignore hither and yon through the file tree. Fossil only has a couple of magic filenames it worries about in the tree, and those are all at the root.

Features that seem like a real problem and which might make a real compatibility goal impractical without breakage:

 * Using fnmatch(3) instead of SQLite's GLOB operator
 * Git wildcards do not match path separators
 * The whole ** thing to compensate for not matching path separators

--
Ross Berteig                               r...@cheshireeng.com
Cheshire Engineering Corp.           http://www.CheshireEng.com/