On 11/25/2009 01:50 PM, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

Alternative proposal: lets deal with the problem at hand and get our
story straight about what is planet.gnome.org, what can be posted
there (i.e. no porn and vulgar language etc.) and how we can help
to enforce a reasonably exact policy on an exact resource which
is planet.gnome.org.

Well, that misses the main issue. Spam and p0rn are easy, and need no writing down. Where it gets though is criticism, expression of frustration, those kind of stuff. Those have most impact on the community and have caused people leave the project for.

To make the discussion more practical, lets take one real incident of the past: Murray's blog re Jeff. It did not include vulgar language. It did include exaggerations that turned into libel. Now how does any proposed solution deal with that?

If you propose CoC should be enforceable (which I personally strictly oppose: when there *is* a law, someone will eventually abuse it.) how do you define what "be nice" means? Does it mean I shouldn't offend anyone? Or is it that the majority should not find my action was offensive? Or foundation members not find it offensive? Or general public? etc etc etc.

I like specific answer to "how would your proposed solution would address this past incident, if it happened again?" from anyone proposing a solution.

And for those who just keep saying again and again that "there should be an enforcement" without ever offering how to get there, well, thanks, we heard you many times :).

behdad

Cheers,
           -Tristan