Peter,

As I said, we chose NCD x-terminals for reliability and ease of use.  All
the arguments for thin-client computing (as I understand them) apply to
x-terminal use also.

1) No moving parts (no fan, no floppy, no HD).
2  Physically small package.
3) Less OS overhead (on the client) which means no high speed CPU giving off
lots of heat.
4) Rated MTBF of 350000 hours (although we haven't had any running 40 years
to verify this).
5) Very easy software install and setup -- 10 minutes for the first, several
minutes each for successive on same host.
6) Operator ease of use -- ours boot straight to the appropriate display
manager screen from power off.

As with any 3rd party software, there is additional overhead when doing
Foxboro updates or day 0 installs.  These are simplified by keeping details
on all custom files and applications in a single document.  I don't see
having x-terminals as any more of a pain than packages such as AIM* or C on
the system.

We primarily use these x-terminals as operator stations on the plant floor
or in the field, so ability to mount them in a dirty environment in a small
weather resistant box with no provision for air exchange is a big advantage.

Regards,

John