To: "FPC developers' list" <fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:39 AM
Subject: Re: [fpc-devel]Russian locale informationnotcompatiblewithFPClocalevariables

I didn't want to add fire to this discussion, but I think one thing needs to be mentioned, and that is graphics card usage from Threads and possible APIs and their limitations.

I was at #opengl channel a few times recently due to work and personal hobby too, and once I asked about doing basic texture loading in threads. It came down to it that the openGL API is completely thread allergic, however after a short discussion it was concluded that with today's cards (and the trend here isn't changing AFAIK), the pipeline would serialize all the calls in the end anyhow.

In other words, having a thread-safe API for gfx calls would bring only overhead (e.g: DX 11 or original concept of GL 3.0)

Just thought I'd mention this little bottleneck of the future (for games at least.. with 32+ cores, having only 1 doing the graphics I think could be fatal, especially since data throughput probably won't get much better on the main bus, e.g: RAM/Disk/VRAM transfers).

As a tidbit, I *heard* (rumor level truthfulness) that the "objective" GL 3.0 threadsafe concept was thrown away in the winter, and that GL 3.0 will be a continuation of GL 2.0, not a rewrite. Take with a pinch of salt, news on this front will arrive soon :)

Ales