On 09/15/2011 11:06 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

and to show you AGAIN how flawed your "direct index access to a
character" example is.
It's not "my" intend to use it. I'll never use it as I do know that it is bound to create problems. But it is what generations of pascal programmers are trained to do. They all need to be re-trained. In fact this is just "Syntax-Candy" (as here native Array-syntax is used for a non-array type). So it could be removed or modified to better support the expectation of the "generations of pascal programmers" even in times of Unicode.
How is that 'Öse' entered into the system.
I was assuming a current Lazarus version as an IDE and here UTF-8 is used. (older Lazarus versions in fact did use locale ANSI code, thus supporting the "generations of pascal programmers")

-Michael