On 25/05/18 00:45, Ralf Quint wrote:
On 5/24/2018 1:49 PM, DaWorm wrote:> Wonder if it was still a p-code compiler back then, as it was based on > Microsoft Pascal, which was based on UCSD Pascal.>> http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Microsoft_Pascal>> Jeff.Microsoft Pascal was NOT based on UCSD Pascal. At least I seriously doubt it. I used UCSD Pascal back in those days, in various forms (Apple ][ Pascal, HP Pascal , UCSD Pascal on Sage, UCSD Pascal on PC) as well looked into MS Pascal for a company I worked for,as it was a direct binary compiler. And it had enough quirks that UCSD Pascal programs that could work on all the various UCSD derived version would not even compile. Now that is about 35 years ago, so I don't recall any details anymore...

I agree. The major intersection of UCSD Pascal and MS was that they could frequently be seen on the same Apple II system... MS made a Z80 card that allowed you to run CP/M-80, and it was very common to boot into one or the other. The P-System was actually a fairly late arrival for the PC and typically had a custom filesystem, while MS Pascal was "just another language" under DOS etc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk