If there problems with capitalization of certain characters exist then
these problems should be solved or
if that's not possible for some reason such characters should not be
allowed in file systems.

But giving it all over to the user and tell him "We did not know how to
handle this mess, just try yourself" is not a solution.

I may partially agree on this one, because as you well may name a document fußstraße.doc, but I strongly believe you won't for a .pas one... Programmers should get their feet back on programming, not on the filesystem bells and whistles, IMHO.

While you cannot force an end user not to use certain characters for the filenames, you certainly can a developer; as far as he knows a bit of the tools he's dealing with. And he should.

Cheers, A.