On 27 February 2012 18:58, Jürgen Hestermann  wrote:

>>    Essentialy, case insensitive filesystems are less problematic.
>>

> No, just the opposite. The  problems are only moved (and increased) from the
> techie level (where it should belong to) to the user.

No, just the opposite. :-)  See my earlier message about various
examples of "test.txt". There is no reason a end-users should be
subjected to a 101 various spellings of a file, when all the user
wanted to do was open a file named "text dot t x t".

Also see my point about Mac OS X and Windows (the one that has 95% of
the computer market).

I have worked all day today on my system after I have done the JFS
conversion on Friday, to be case insensitive. I have recompiled FPC,
Lazarus, MSEide, fpGUI, tiOPF... none gave any problems. I did new git
clone and git pull and git commit commands without any problems. I
have searched for files using various tools or applications  - which
now finally works well. I have opened various ODT documents which
reference external images etc - again no problems. I did find-in-files
searches using various programmer editors - again no problems.

So far I am very happy with the switch, and the knowledge that I can't
have duplicate source code files like Learner.pas and learner.pas in
the same directories any more. Thus FPC and Lazarus can't get confused
about them either.

It's a win-win all the way. Clearly 99% of the computer market (that's
Windows+Mac OS X usage count) can't be all wrong.

I'm also happy to say that the state of the art file system, that's
ZFS, also has an option to enable case insensitive usage. Brilliant,
because I want to use FreeBSD with ZFS pretty soon.

To all the other that still think case sensitive file systems make
sense, please do some Google searching. There are so many problems
listed, I still can't believe Linux people use case sensitive file
systems. Another example: web servers on Unix/Linux. If the user types
the url with say Index.HTML, that is different to index.html. Apache
has a special "spelling" module to overcome this issue. So now apps
have to fix issues due to file systems!

  - Graeme -