I have been trying to use tStringList in a larger project of mine, but this just keeps bombing out with a exception. I have been able to reproduce the problem with this very simple test program:

program project1;

USES Classes;

Var T : tStringList;
    S : String;
begin
  S := 'Test';
  T.Create;
// T.Clear;
  T.Add (S);
  T.Free;
end.

It will throw the exception at each and every instruction using T after the T.Create statement.

The project is a simple command line program, tested both with Lazarus 1.2.6 and the included default install of FPC 2.6.4 on either Windows 8.1/64 or Windows 10/32...

---