On Tue, 8 Sep 2020, James Richters via fpc-pascal wrote:

Yes 10 was too short,  I made it larger and larger until it worked.  1000 was
the lowest value that worked so I set it to 2000, that's still quite a bit
faster than the default.

If I make a mistake in the link but the server IP address is correct, I get a
valid connection but then it fails and terminates with:
An unhandled exception occurred at $0000000100017675:
EHTTPClient: Unexpected response status code: 401

If I use the wrong IP address, but that IP address has a different server
running on it, but that page is not available, I get:
An unhandled exception occurred at $0000000100017675:
EHTTPClient: Unexpected response status code: 401

Is there a way to obtain these errors as well so it doesn't terminate my
program?

Yes, catch the EHTTPClient exception just as you catch the ESocketError:

   try
     S:=TFPHTTPCLIENT.SIMPLEGET('http://10.10.01.01/30000/15');
   except
     On E: ESocketError do
      Writeln('Could not connect to server: ',E.Message);
     On EH : EHTTPClient do
      begin
      Writeln('Error getting the document : '+EH.Message);

If you created a TFPHTTPClient instance you can also examine the
ResponseStatusCode property, it will contain the server response code.