From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
om]On Behalf Of Andy Kelsall
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:40 AM
To: Framers@frameusers.com
Subject: Career advice--which application to focus on: FM or Word?

Hello everyone,

           I would like some advice from anyone who has worked in the
technical writing field for more than 3 years. My question is this:

          If you knew someone who was looking to enter the technical writing
field at this time, would you advise them to seek out positions where they
would be using FrameMaker, or would you tell them not to worry so much on
which application would be used, but instead focus on the position and the
work itself?

          The reason I ask is that on various listservs I subscribe to, it
seems that most people are big FM advocates and are not too fond of Word.
I've spent the last month trying to learn the basics of FM, and I can see
why people choose FM over Word when it comes to serious technical writing.
Granted, there is a steep learning curve, but it *is* a lot more versatile
than Word.

          I'm moving away from a 17 year career as a technician and engineer
in the telecom field and I want to make sure my first step into technical
writing isn't a misstep. As a quick note, I have given the career change
quite a bit of thought, and went as far as completing a technical writing
program at Duke. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy
http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/clint.owen%40craneaerosp
ace.com

Attention:
The information contained in this email message may be privileged and is
confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any
unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your
electronic files.

This email was scanned and cleared by MailMarshal.