That's still true in some regions. Not all universities offer any training
toward technical writing, and some of the ones locally that do are really only
teaching basic grammar and writing business letter. It would appear that the
department head there has no clue what tech writing is, or that syllabus would
be returned for heavy revision!

  Among candidates with no direct tech writing experience and short job
histories, I have found that candidates who majored in literature or English
rhetoric/composition (or other field that requires a lot of writing that's
graded by prof's who know how to write well) and minored in a technical field
such as computer science, a type of engineering, or other scientific field --
are the candidates who seem to settle in to the odd mix of skills required in
our field. I also had a good experience with someone whose BS was in biology
and minored in journalism, and her family background was a very goal-oriented.
As a writer, she was detail-oriented and adjusted well to the demands of
timelines and multiple overlapping deadlines, but she didn't seem to get stuck
in the conundrum of perfectionism that plagues some.

  Rene