From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Lise Bible
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:25 PM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: Entry Level Technical Writer - Contract - Moorpark, CA

Well, I guess I can kind of see both sides. I've been a tech writer at
my company for a year and a half, and it is frustrating when others
assume that if you can type and spell
(or *not* spell..."hey, that's what spell-check is for, right?") then
you're fully qualified to be a tech writer.

But it is hard to break out of the "admin" mold. I don't have a degree
in English, but I have a BA in Psychology. I majored in Psych because
I thought the classes were really quite interesting, not having a
specific career goal in mind. After college, I started temping, and
ended up in an admin/customer service role at a manufacturing company.
Among other things, I wrote work instructions and the like for my
department, learned PageMaker and became an expert at Word. Two
acquisitions, two office moves and 2 years later, the tech writer
position here opened up, and I applied.

I think my former boss went to bat for me, as they moved the position
out of the marketing department and into the Engineering Services
department (where I was already), and here I am. I've since taken
classes in Frame and a Tech Writing course through University of IL at
Chicago, and I find I have an affinity for the job.

Moral of my story, I guess, is that it's not a bad thing to think
outside the box, hiring-wise, but yes, it is hard to effectively weed
out the unqualified while finding the right person for the job.

-Lise

On 5/15/07, Rene Stephenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have had secretaries apply for tech writer openings in my group.
Internal candidates always get phone screening, so I'd have to call them. I
always asked what they felt were their qualifications, and they all
responded that they had "good English" and were experts with MS Word. They
wrote lots of corresondence and updated their draft letters with the "edits"
from their bosses, so they "knew" how to handle document review. We had to
start posting BA or higher in English or directly relevant field as a
minimal requirement with no "equivalency" allowed.

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rinnie1%40yahoo.com

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/rentagoodbook%40gmail.co

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/dgcaller%40earthlink.net