I don't think anyone thinks that an English degree alone means a person is
qualified. It's just a way to try to weed through applicants when you're buried
under a pile of resumes of applicants with no writing experience. As I said, it
was a response to a particular situation at a particular company, and if you
knew all the HR constraints in that company and what it forced into various
decisions and how much of the decision could be forced based on HR policies
rather than hiring manager's input, you'd have likely made the same decision in
that situation.

  Even tenure in the field isn't always a good indicator. We hired one writer
with a 25 year history, but then found out over the course of the next 6 mo
that there was very little discipline or tool knowledge, and a prevalent
attitude that edits are a luxury and little things like consistently referring
to AC power in caps was considered "making it pretty" and that writer "didn't
have time for pretty" even though there was time built into the schedule and
not plenty of writer bandwidth.

  Certainly, there have been good writers with non-English degrees and prior
work experience in a technical field. I have hired a couple myself, and I work
with one now. It's hard to find a good blend of writing skill and technical
expertise, but it's out there.

  Rene

Deb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi All,
I agree with Diane.
I have encountered candidates with english degrees and certifications in
english who have failed badly when it comes to the writing piece and working
on the relevant documentation tools.

Regards,
Debashish