Kanti,

You wrote:

>The next book (a user manual with index) crashes frame consistently.
>Narrowed this down to the index. ...

As mentioned by Alan Houser, and previously reported by Mark Chulsky and
others, there is an issue with generating/updating a book which has an
index, with some index entries including references to character formats
(e.g. to make some page numbers bold or to format the entry itself or
portions thereof). I encountered this too, and added an item for it at
www.microtype.com/FM_bugs.html  with the internal error messages reported
(different error messages show up in different books. I have also placed a
link to a sample book (one of the standard sample FM files) consistently
causing a crash when the book is updated:
http://www.microtype.com/resources/bugs/FM8IndexCrash-Bkstyle5.zip  [52K]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
TimeSavers/Assistants