Hi Adam,

Yes, converting back and forth between FM binary and MIF is considered safe.
There are a couple of exceptions that I can think of:

1) If you save a FM document as MIF and then use an earlier version of
FrameMaker to open the MIF document, you will lose "features" that are not
supported in the earlier version of FrameMaker.

2) If you save a structured document as MIF and attempt to open it with
unstructured FM, you would lose the original document's structure. However,
you should get a warning about this when you open the document.

As far as the task at hand, you could use FrameScript for this and not have
to bother with the FM to MIF to FM step at all. Send me a sample document
offlist and I will see what is involved with writing a script. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com