At 1:53 PM -0600 12/9/08, Donald M Rinderknecht wrote:
>Hi Gillian,
>
>Other than the diff report (which I assume provides more details than
>just a time/date stamp) is SVN useful?
>
>I've been wanting some centralized document management for our
>FrameMaker (and other) files for a long time. We have several folks that
>author materials, sometimes in teams. I'd like to have check in/check
>out and versioning at the very least. It would be really cool to be able
>to metatag content and search for it also.
>
>Folks have mentioned going to MIF files or XML. Wouldn't those options
>add steps to the workflow? I assume they (MIF or XML) would affect the
>workflow in a similar fashion. Also, going to XML would require
>structure (I assume) so I don't think we're ready for that. We've
>started to use structure in some docs, but I haven't had time to
>implement that broadly.
>
>What is PDM?
>
>Thanks,
>don.
>
>Don Rinderknecht -- 405.325.2805
>Meteorologist Instructor/Developer
>Warning Decision Training Branch, Norman, OK
>http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov

If you are working with a team that may be assigned files that others
are working on, the locking capability is nice. It prevents others
from checking out the file you are working on. Other than having that
and a a date time stamp version, there isn't a lot that any source
control system can add for Frame since the primary files are binary.

Scott