From: Dov Isaacs <isa...@adobe.com>
To: "framers@lists.frameusers.com" <framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Cc: "techw...@techwr-l.com" <techw...@techwr-l.com>
Sent: Thu, February 14, 2013 4:08:42 PM
Subject: RE: "FrameMaker has detected a problem and must quit" Really?!

All,

Sorry I couldn’t respond to this thread earlier. Driving much of the day yesterday and I don’t “do e-mail” while driving.  J

I am seriously hoping that there was a serious misunderstanding between Ken Poshedly and the tech support person he spoke with. Maybe a language issue one of a definition of what a “data file” is.

For the record, there is absolutely no restriction in FrameMaker – any version – as to where FrameMaker document files (.fm files), FrameMaker book files, or any assets used by same may reside on a user’s system. As long as Windows can open the file for input and output, FrameMaker can open the document or book. FrameMaker documents may be on the system volume or any other volume available under Windows including external drives, SSDs, thumb drives, network shares, etc.

Then there are the “data files” used internally by FrameMaker including those in <X:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11\fminit> where X:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\AdobeFrameMaker11 is the location where you designate that FrameMaker be installed and <C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11>  where  username is the user’s Window login ID. Maybe there was some issue of what happens if you designate a location for FrameMaker installation that isn’t the system volume or if you move the <C:\Users\username> directory to someplace other than the system volume. I have not experienced problems with FrameMaker 11 installed on a volume other than the system volume. I have not attempted to muck around with location of the <C:\Users\username> directory which could be playing with fire with not only FrameMaker, but other Windows applications.

Nonetheless, assuming a reasonably normal installation of FrameMaker 11, you should have no problem with storing your FrameMaker documents and associated assets anywhere that you can open a file within your system’s file system.

            - Dov

Dov Isaacs
Principal Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated

+1 408.536.2896 (tel)
+1 408.242.5161 (cell)

isa...@adobe.com

345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA  95110-2704 USA
http://www.adobe.com

Feel free to print this e-mail if your needs dictate hard copy.
There is no need to feel guilty about printing!
Paper is renewable and recyclable.

ISAACS-OFFICE.corp.adobe.com