One could certainly create a plugin or Frame/ExtendScript that would simplify that process. Before doing something "eleventh-six hundred times" I'd look for some type of automation.  :)

Sounds like an "Insert Icon" command is needed here. Run command (press shortcut keys), prompt for file .. Done! The anchoring type and offsets could all be pre set.

Cheers,

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.