Milan Davidović <milan.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Syed Zaeem Hosain (syed.hos...@aeris.net)
> <syed.hos...@aeris.net> wrote:
> > That added cost would be smaller per person/account than the cost (not just
> > money) of dealing with the resulting fraud costs.
>
> Honestly, just asking questions; no other rationale; I wonder *how* much of a
> difference there is between the two.

Good question. Recently having dealt with security planning and costs at my
company, my intuition (but not knowledge) says that this cost is minimal
compared to the fraud loss potential. For a hypothetical example, in my case
*alone*, that $1000 of avoided fraud (even though it wouldn't have impacted me
personally) was the equivalent of 1 year of SSL certificate renewal. :)

And, sure, the costs of added security for financial transactions are probably
higher, but my intuition says this cost would be relatively minor, compared to
the fraud savings and avoidance of a highly visible black eye.

Anyway, this discussion has drifted pretty far from the list topic - to close
my further input, I will simply ask people, if they have received a notice from
Adobe - to take this matter seriously and change their credit cards. I got
lucky, but many may not realize it till later.