At 09:57 -0800 3/3/14, Syed Zaeem Hosain (syed.hos...@aeris.net) wrote:

>Agreed that LaTeX has a steep learning curve and, in this WYSIWYG world, it
>may seem like a step backward to some people. However, the power and
>flexibility (with highly consistent formatted output) is very appealing in
>some cases.
>
>With regard to hyphenation, it sounds like the person writing the thesis was
>not providing hyphenation hints. You can use the \hyphenation command to
>identify the break points in a set of unusual words, and LaTeX will do the
>right thing after that whenever it sees those words.

It was just an example taken at random from recent experience. I'm sure there
is a workaround, but the writer is a software expert and researcher, and the
fact that he didn't know about this sort of proves my case - that getting good
results out of LaTeX requires deep knowledge ;-) I am sure that it can be made
to do great things, but I've never seen what I would consider acceptable
results come out of it in the the hands of non-experts.

--
Steve [Trim e-mails: use less disk, use less power, use less planet]