I am assuming that artwork created with FrameMaker's internal graphics editor
is a closed book, i.e. cannot be extracted and reworked in an external
application. If anyone knows differently, or has been through this sort of
exercise, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

My primitive tests so far (copy-paste from FrameMaker 6 source to Illustrator
on Mac) shows confusing results. For example, objects more or less keep their
appearance, although some geometry is lost, but cannot be ungrouped for
editing, while fills and text seem to be destroyed, although Illustrator
correctly reports fonts.

By the time I have to address this issue for real, I may be working in
FrameMaker 10 or 12 for (obviously) Windows.

--
Steve