You've already done the important step of testing out your FM8 material in a 12
trial - your biggest changes will be the new UI and perhaps old fonts - Unicode
came in there somewhere around FM7/8.

From: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of MacDonald, Helen
Sent: May-14-14 12:54 PM
To: framers@lists.frameusers.com
Subject: FrameMaker 8 to a Newer Version

Hi Framers,

I am presently using structured FrameMaker version 8 on Windows XP. (And we
seem to have lost the original software disks.)  Writing commercial airlines
manuals using a template created for FrameMaker 6. And using SDI software to
create the cgm graphics from eps files.

I have not had any problems using the template but plugins do not work.  I have
not tried to output as XML so I don't know how that will go.  I have only been
using FrameMaker for a little over a year and am the only TW in my company.

My company wants to move me off of XP to Windows 7.  And is looking to upgrade
the FrameMaker to either version 10, 11, or 12. (These are the versions they
can find to buy legal licenses with.)

Does anyone know if there will be any issues with a template created for
FrameMaker 6 running on these newer versions?  Since I am fairly new to FM I
don't cause myself extra grief.

I have opened a file (that I created in FM 8) in a trial version of FM 12 and
it looks okay but I don't know if there are things going on behind the scenes.
Are there things I should be looking for?

What issues might I have?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Helen MacDonald
PTI Technologies Inc.

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY/COMPLIANCE NOTICE: The information in this communication may be
confidential, and is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.
You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this communication, or any of its contents, to any other party, is strictly
prohibited. The contents may contain Technical Data that is controlled by the
ITAR, 22CFR parts 120 to 130, or EAR, 15CFR parts 730 to 772, and therefore
should not be disclosed to a non-U.S. person, or entity, in the U.S. or abroad.
If you have received this communication in error, please return it to the
sender immediately and delete the original message and any copy of it from your
computer system.