No, I don't think it is a bug.
And end-of-paragraph mark is not a simple glyph; it has properties and
attributes associated with it (e.g. a paragraph tag, the formatting associated
with that paragraph tag, and any overrides to the standard formatting for the
tag).
You can find an EOP as if it were a simple glyph because they do have a common
fundamental property (i.e. denoting the end of a paragraph).
But you cannot effectively insert a new EOP in a replace string because there
is no way to associate any of the other properties with the new mark.
Finding an EOP and replacing it with itself, on the other hand, is a valid
operation because the found mark has a full complement of paragraph properties.

-Fred Ridder