This question was posed Nov. 10, so I'm late responding -- I let messages pile
I had the exact same issue with a three-year-old CHM that worked great from a
server until we went to update the help. Lo and behold, MS had changed the
I was lucky enough to find a way around it, using a third-party tool that is
not free, but inexpensive, called HTML Executable.
It doesn't matter how the CHM was created. I produced mine in Author-It. You
run the CHM through HTML Executable and turn it into an EXE file, which can be
run from a server.
The best part: as part of the process, you can pick a new "skin" for your help.
In my case, it allowed me to upgrade the appearance without tedious (and
occasionally dangerous) template rework in Author-It!
HTML Executable was fast, did a great job, and required almost no time to
learn, especially since I only used that single aspect of the software. I
highly recommend it as a simple solution.
You are currently subscribed to framers as arch...@mail-archive.com.
Send list messages to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
Send administrative questions to listad...@frameusers.com. Visit
http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.