I've had this happen several times but have yet to figure out what causes
it - there is a FrameMaker command to turn side heads off (Esc j p
Shift+s) but you really have to work to apply that command!

The quickest way I found to fix the side head issue was to create an
object style with the side heads turned off, then apply that style to each
text box. In FrameMaker 11, be sure that you don't have a text frame
selected and then click Graphics > Object Style Designer. When the Object
Style Designer dialog opens, click Dimensions in the list of properties.
If any of the text boxes on the Dimensions properties has a blue fill,
click each box to clear the fill - be sure none of the boxes are checked.
Specifically, ensure that the "Room for Side Heads" check box is cleared.

Enter a name for the object style and click Save.

Applying the object style is similar to applying font or paragraph styles.
Display the Object Style Catalog (Graphics > Object Style Catalog), then
select the text boxes you want to apply the style to and click the object
style name to apply. You can apply the style to multiple text boxes at
once.

Carole McCormick
Technical Writer

Sun Nuclear Corporation