Hmmm … I don’t know how to answer your questions for certain, but can make a
few comments.

1.      I have not tried with a file/book “built from scratch” yet – will see
if that makes a difference. This is, however, a royal pain, since it is far
easier to start from an existing book to create a new one 9keeps stuff
“consistent”!

2.      OTOH, I am not creating any new documents in FrameMaker (moved process
to LaTeX to avoid the FM pricing problem in the future), so this may be moot.

3.      A tiny few of my documents have evolved over time from FrameMaker 4
(from when I began using FM again on Windows).

4.      Many of my docs started from FrameMaker 6 era though – just upgraded
over time as I edited them for updates, etc.

5.      A few are brand-new in FrameMaker 9,10 and 11 (and then moved to 12 for
updates).

6.      Regardless, it is always easier to simply start with an existing folder
containing the book/files from another document, to begin work on a new doc.
This makes it easier to get exactly the templates, paragraph and font formats,
colors, etc., that I want … for a consistent look and feel.

7.      My files are very clean now – for example, some have had the master
pages fonts changed to ensure that only the fonts I want are included in the
PDF, etc.

8.      When editing a document for updates, I do the occasional “Save As” and
MIF-washes too … to clear up stuff.

The result so far is that with RGB mode selected, I get what I want/expect in
the PDF. With CMYK, italic paragraphs have kerning removed; intra-links and
extra-links (to URL’s) are missing; some text fonts lose the bolding (yes, I
use a Character Format for “Bold”), etc.

However, I have not been comprehensive about all this yet, so will confirm
everything soon. I may also go back to a backup tape and see if can find the
specific FM docs I used to sent to Adobe (somebody in India) and see how end up
do in 12.0.4 … will have to wait till next week for some time though.