David Davis said:
> In German they get around this kind of thing by making compound nouns, so
> you'd have the equivalent of "Usermanual"  (Benutzerhandbuch...?), but
> English prefers to leave a space.

Indeed! :)

Reminds me of the time I was helping a fraternity brother (fluent German
speaker) translate a highly technical document from German to English for his
summer job and we encountered this (or some similar) word:
"SchwebendeElektroMagnetischenFeld" .... and that was one of the simpler
compound words there!

The translation we provided in English was "Levitating Electro-Magnetic Field".
The word "Schwebende" means something else I think, but the context was MagLev
trains, so "Levitating" seemed better to me! :)

I have never forgotten this story even though it has been 40 years now. I ended
up sudying German for two semesters the year after that summer - needed it as a
foreign language requirement.