Fei Min said:

> but the TIFF figures were all fuzzy and the PNG ones weren't

This _may_ be due to the fact that your screen capture program that outputs the
TIFF does not place a good "thumb-nail" inside the file. The actual printed
output may be just fine, but displays (particularly when editing in FrameMaker)
would not look good at all.

My general observations:

1. JPG is fine for pictures, but terrible for graphics and line-art. Don't edit
and save a JPG (multiple generations) and expect it to maintain quality each
time you save!

2. PNG is fine for line-art and graphics - particularly when viewed on-screen.
Loss-less and can also be used for pictures too.

Since most of my "images" are drawings and business graphics, PNG suits me best.