At 11:00 AM 3/21/2015, you wrote:
I assume you are referring to commercial printing, where either CMYK process colors or similar spot colors are used.Â

Well, no, actually. I do very little color work and am woefully ignorant on all things color. So far, the color photos and occasional color artwork that my clients give me print just fine commercially and output just fine to PDF without my knowing anything about color. My clients mainly use line drawings.

I've had really good luck importing the Illustrator vector artwork directly by reference into my FM docs. For the past 20 years, I've converted all my artwork to .eps first, but now that Framemaker gets along with Illustrator, I can skip that entire step. And it is very convenient being able to double-click the imported file to open it, revise it in Illustrator, and save it right back out.

Carol