Hello John,

maybe a tip for "variable naming conventions": use a number as a prefix in
your variable name. None of the system variables start with a number.
Therefore, I name my variables as follows:

1-productname01
1-productname02
2-companyname01
2-companyname02
3-docname01
4-doctype01
5-versionnumber01

And indeed, BookVars may help to "manage" your variables.

And finally, if you want to update an existing user variable, the safest way
is using a "MIF snippet", i.e. a very small MIF file which just contains the
name and definition of the variable and nothing else. Example:

<MIFFile 7.00> # Generated by FrameMaker 7.0p578
<VariableFormats
 <VariableFormat
  <VariableName `1-productname01'>
  <VariableDef `<uicontrol\>PitStop Professional<Default Para Font>'>
 > # end of VariableFormat
> # end of VariableFormats
# End of MIFFile

Good luck and best regards