My first choice would be to set it in the meta file numbering
properties for each chapter file.
Unless you're already using it for something, use the Volume Number
setting/variable to set a text string for all chapters of a component
book. Then use <$volnum> to pull it into each listing. So you'd
probably end up with something that looked like <$volnum> <$pagenum>
to pull both variables in.

Art