hi all,

I have a situation that would seem to be simple, but I can't find a good
solution.

In one of our user guides we have a lengthy list of items that I've placed into
a 4-column table. The table spans several pages. The table is also frequently
ammended (entries added or removed), so the length and relative position of the
rows vis a vis the page breaks changes.

I want to add column headings for the four columns, that are aligned correctly
with the columns they correspond to. I want these column headings to appear at
the top of the table, as well as at the top of every subsequent page. So I'm
trying to use the Table Title.

However, when I use the title, I find I can't put tab stops in, because when I
actually press the tab key, the cursor jumps to the first table cell. So in
order to place my table headings, I have to set the alignment on that style to
left, and space space space over to a spot that approximately lines up with the
column below, and type my heading. This works all right (but not great;
alignment isn't exact) while I'm looking at the thing on the screen, but when I
generate the PDF version, the column heading locations vary slightly from the
screen version I'm looking at and don't line up perfectly with the columns. So
I end up having to mess with the spacing, re-gen the PDF (which is a pain) and
so on, until I end up with something that works in the PDF, but looks wrong on
my screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Kevin Hunter
ESDI