This a bit tricky. I haven't done it before, but I found instructions
for it in the Adobe FrameMaker help. The topic title is

"Including the total page count of a book in a header or footer"

The Page Count (<$lastpagenum>) variable ordinarily resets on a
file-by-file basis, but you can make it do otherwise.

Joe