Sorry to chime in late.

Here's how I've done it when I needed a documents page count elsewhere. A
paragraph with a format called PageCount placed on .... A REFERENCE PAGE!
Then you just put the page count variable as the only text. You then Xref
to the last document in a book. No need for blank paragraphs or white text
(which is selectable in a PDF. Yuck!).

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

"Tammy Van Boening" <tvanboening at insureworx.com> wrote on 10/16/2006
05:19:54 PM:

> Ok - a quick follow-up to this. For the "empty" paragraph tag, you need
> some kind of source text for the paragraph to select for the x-ref, so
> what I did was set up an auto-number format with the phrase
> "TotalPageCount" and set the color to white so it doesn't show and I
> have a cross-ref. format called TotalPageCount set to pick up only the
> page number of the paragraph. I set this up on the master page footers
> and it works like a charm. Thanks Fred.
>
> TVB
>

> Tammy Van Boening
> Engineering Technical Writer
> InsureWorx
> 303-729-7733
> tvanboening at insureworx.com

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier/s), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou prot?g?s et est destin? ?
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est par
les pr?sentes avis?e qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez re?u par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et d?truire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilis?e afin d'assurer la
s?curit? de nos systems d'information et qu'elle fur?tera les courriels
entrant.
Merci.