Pallavi,

Open the EDD and look at the general rule of your paragraph element. Does it
look like this:

<TEXT>

If so, that means a Paragraph only allows text.

It should allow both text and CrossReferences. Since it's mixed content it
should look like this:

(<TEXT> | CrossReference)*

It's also possible that the element allows mixed content, but the
CrossReference element is not included in that list. If so, the general rule
might look something like this:

(<TEXT> | Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button)*

You would need to add CrossReference to the general rule so that it looks like
this:

(<TEXT> | Emphasis | InlineGraphic | Button | CrossReference)*

Mike