To add to Alan's comments, I've had numerous aerospace clients who choose
Arbortext for editing, but Frame for output.

The cost of output from Arbortext (developing XSL-FO) can be much greater
than the whole FM install and dev, and not terribly flexible.

In the pre-Frame 7.2 world, XML was interpreted both in and out of
Framemaker and stored in FM Binary. This is why folks would edit content
directly using AT (integrity of XML), but draw into FM for output (less
cost/time/effort)

These days, Frame can work directly with the XML, and storing as .fm is
strictly optional. IMO, this undercuts much of AT's sales pitch.

Other considerations might include both current and potential content
management integration.

BTW, anyone know if ArborText has any sort of DITA implementation?

-Matt Sullivan

GRAFIX Training, Inc.

An Adobe Authorized Training Center

www.grafixtraining.com