On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:27:15 -0500, "Ridder, Fred" <fred.ridder at intel.com>
wrote:

>The point is that you tag a UI element as a UI element because
>it is a UI element. You make it bold (or whatever) at a later point
>in the process based on how you choose to format the semantically
>tagged elements for a given deliverable.

Excellent point!  I totally agree, and use that for character
formats at every opportunity.  You wind up with more formats,
many of which are specified identically, but that's a small
price to pay.

You can do the same with paragraph formats, too.  But you can
do all that in UNstructured docs just as easily as in structured.
Maybe *more* easily, when you factor in the time to set up your
structure, and to modify it when you make changes, which is major.

I've only been able to identify one situation in which structured
Frame can do this better than unstructured, and that's when you'd
want nested element tags within a paragraph, since you cam't nest
character formats.  (There are easy workarounds for creating the
equivalent of nested paragraph formats, such as using start/end
formats and/or markers.)  OTOH, I have yet to see a non-hypothetical
case where such nested char formats were really needed...

Structured Frame is designed for large pubs groups where standard
document designs are required, perhaps for ISO 9000, perhaps for
other corporate policy reasons.  For smaller groups, and especially
for lone writers, the setup costs (time and consultants) are likely
to exceed the benefits, much like a CMS (Content Management System)
can.  There are excellent consultants around, many on this list,
for whom it is a breeze.  If you decide to go this way, hire one.
It will prevent much anguish and hair loss.